Victrix British

Here’s three elements of Victrix Brits that I’ve finished. One box of Victrix gives me 4 units of 12 figs, and I’m waiting on the flank companies box to furnish me with the 4th element. They should be just about on their way as far as I can tell – Caliver books was expecting them in.

I’ve combined the same poses into one unit, but with the different bodies there is still quite a bit of variety.

brits-front-1

Compared to the Perry Miniatures these figures take a long time to prep and put together. They are truly multi-part kits, and I have to say that I was quite lazy with seam lines and sink holes. No putty was used in the hats where there were slight indentations. I’m not overly concerned, as I’ve always believed that a good paint job will hide a multitude of sins, and the worst of the offending flash was removed. The other major clean up job was clipping down the big rectangular bases to make them fit onto my bases without their bayonets ramming into all and sundry.

I put the models together completely, aside from leaving the drum detached from the drummer, then sprayed them in Chaos Black undercoat. I touched this up, as usual, with Tamiya Acrylic flat black.

The rest of the painting was in two tone aside from the overalls, which were three shades. One remark about painting British is that they are quite a bit more involved than Napoleonic French. This isn’t because of the extra lace, as this is just a little bit more white to paint. The difference I think was very much in number of colours required for the accoutrements such as the rucksack and the water bottle. This meant that they take, on average, a little longer to paint than their nemesis.

brits-angle1

Painting them alrady built was actually easier I think, as the arms could hide spots that required extra detail, notably the bastion lace on the front of the tunic. As I have 2 marching battalions to paint with open fronts, we will see if this makes the painting any more onerous.

During the process a bayonet broke off, as I paint on a multiple base and whilst painting one figure, knocked the figure on the other side against the painting table. The flimsiness of the bayonets is one worrying thing about these plastic figures. However, as predicted in my post about the French, The bayonet proved very easy to reattach with a little bit of TamiyaModel glue. It even reattached when I broke it a second time from doing exactly the same thing! In all, I wouldn’t say that this is a major problem though. Although this bayonet did break, I actually bumped others in the same way several times and they remained firmly attached.

One of the Shakos is missing its plume, as I broke it off in removing the head from the sprue. I would have reattached it, but dropped it and it is now nowhere to be found. Never mind – campaign dress.

brits-front-2

So would I recommend Victrix British Infantry? Pros are: I believe that the sculpting is excellent. The faces have a lot of expression and character. The multiplicity of poses available are excellent, and even if you prefer all of your figures in the same pose, you can get 4×8 identical figures per box. 5 boxes would give you 4 battalions of 40 for 100 pounds (NZ$250), or in my case 8 battalions of 16 from 3 boxes (NZ$150/GBP60). So they are cheap. Painting them is a pleasure (mainly due to the final results).

Cons: They take a decent amount of time to take off the sprue and put together – significantly more time to prep than either single cast metal figures or the Perry Plastics. The bayonets are a little bit sensitive (though not prohibitively so), and for those demanding all figures in the same pose this is not the set for you.

Overall: My British infantry are all going to be Victrix. Partly this is an issue of cost, but I genuinely like the figures. I’m not looking forward to putting them all together (2 boxes to go), but then I’m not really looking forward to painting them either (I am looking forward to them being painted…). Should I have waited for the Perry British? I don’t think so. I would have had to cut all the heads off and swap them for Peninsular heads anyway, so I doubt I’d have saved any time. As stated before, Victrixfit well with the Perry figures. So in summary, I like them and recommend them.

brits-angle2

UPDATE 7/2/09

It has been brought to my attention on TMP that my drummer would not be yellow if the regimental facing colour is green. I kind of knew that drummers were in reverse colours, but did not think that the Brit drummers were ever in green. As I was shown otherwise, I have repainted my drummer to match the facings of my regiment! I’ve wargamed Napoleonics for 21 years and read countless books on the period, so to make such an elementary error is a bit embarassing. Still, I guess it goes to prove that no-one can know everything about the Napoleonic era in just 21 years!

 repaint

Here is the repainted dummer. Not the best photo, but gives you the idea!

Nate

Advertisements

4 comments on “Victrix British

  1. TEN-SHUN! That’s a much better showing on parade, well done. Lord Hill.

    By the way, I went YEARS somehow under the misaprehension that ALL British Guardsmen wore flank company wings. I was finally put right on TMP. Like yourself, after so many years and so many books its incredible how there’s still stuff to learn! I suppose that’s why we like it.

    Looking forward to your next update. Cheers.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s