Blog’s been a bit slow…

Work, work, work. I guess I should be thankful that I have a full time job during a recession, but I’ve had very little time to myself lately.  It is school holidays and I’m still trundling into work every day… there is something distinctly unfair about that!

So what have I achieved? Rebasing! A whole two units. That’s it, no real extra painting except to finish off my Marlburian foot guards. There is a Warmachine Wroughthammer Rockram just sitting there staring at me at the moment. Oh well, this is what I have done:

rebased arts

Dan and I played some FoG when he came down a fortnight ago. We liked it. We liked it a lot. We decided to rejig our Arthurian armies , which means rebasing and more painting!  Here is one of my battlegroups of 8 Medium Infantry elelments, all rebased and ready. I’m using my new fiels grass and hobby tac.  At first it all seemed very easy – then I got a smidgen of hobby tac on my fingers. What a pain in the arse that was! It seemed that no matter how hard I scrubbed, the field grass did not want to let me go. Patients and being absolutely meticulous is in order if I am not to lose my sanity with the rebasing. It does look good I think.


I decided that 4 figures to a base looked far to sparse, but I didn’t want to reduce the base sizes. So the answer was obviously to cram more figures onto the bases. My plan is to base all of the Marlburians up for the Beneath the Lily Banners rules by Barry Hilton, but not necessarily to use these. I really like Mark Sim’s Rank and File rules, but they don’t really work with anything less than 4 bases to a unit. So, the answer is to combine 2 battalions into a manoeuvre unit. This works great with the French and Dutch regiments, but means that the British battalions will combine 2 different regiments. The partner of the 1st Foot Guards will be the 2nd Foot Guards in order to keepthe whole unit elite.

I’ve just ordered more French and some Austrians(because I have so much time to paint them), so I will have 12 battalions a side (6 manoeuvre units – or regiments), 4 cavalry (2 units) and 2 artillery. I aim to increase the amount of cavalry in the future too, but one step at a time.

I’ve decided to focus on the following, and to try to complete a project every week:

  1. Punic Wars                     Mid-Republican Romans                    15mm Field of Glory       
  2. Arthurian                       Post-Roman British                              28mm Field of Glory
  3. Wars of the Roses        Yorkists                                                     15mm Field of Glory
  4. English Civil War         Parliamentarian and Royalist           28mm 1644
  5. Marlburian                     Confederate and French                    15mm Rank and File
  6. World War One             British and German                               28mm Rules of Engagement
  7. World War Two            German                                                      15mm Flames of War
  8. World War Two              US, Soviet and German                     28mm Rules of Engagement
  9. Science Fiction              Chaos Space Marines, Orks              28mm Warhammer 40,000
  10. Fantasy                             Chaos Warriors                                     28mm Warhammer Fantasy
  11. Fantasy                             Mercenaries                                           28mm Warmachine

Everything else takes a back seat until these are complete – well, that is the plan du jour. It will be almost impossible to stick to it with my butterfly-like tendencies.


Due 19th July – Marlburian French Infantry Battalion

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s