Folly, thy name is naval wargaming. I know NOTHING about sailing, except that you do it on the water and you need wind. Apart from that , I have a working knowledge of several naval battles, and like the look of ships. What more do you need?
I purchased the Warhammer Historical Trafalgar rules earlier this year, and was immediately impressed. I could play naval games with no idea of the finicky sailing detail that confuses me so much. So I have finally bought some ships. Everyone I have read raves about Langton minis. And I have to admit, they are very nice. But I am cheap, and this was always going to be a secondary project for me, so I bought 2 NavWar starter packs for a very reasonable sum. They arrived within a week of sending my fax, which is fantastic service seeing as I am on the other side of the world. I never fail to be impressed with English companies and Royal Mail.
The ships themselves were good. I’ve seen in the flesh Langtons and they are exceptionally detailed. NavWar, not so much, but then I want them to game, I’m not overly concerned with details and they come in less pieces than a Langton (I’m not big on constructing models… too much time that could be spent painting…).
Being a bright sunny day I thought I’d make my model outside in good light. Hmmm, well I’m just glad that I have some modelling nouse in order to compensate for losing my bowsprit through the cracks in the deck! I found that the rearmast (which one is that again?) wasn’t quite long enough. so I chopped it up and used a piece of florist’s wire to extend it’s length. I used a pin vice and drilled holes wherever the Trafalgar rigging guide told me to. I painted the hull and the sails seperately, and at about 9 o’clock at night I glued the model together and proceeded to rig the ship. Now, I think that I’ve already made it quite clear that I’m not looking for perfection here, but I do think that the rigging adds a lot to the look of the ship when finished. So what I wanted was some elementary rigging to make the ship look like it had some ropes somewhere. At 11 o’clock I put the last of the rigging on. In the morning I got up and had another look at the Trafalgar book and realised that I had done it rather wrong! However I had managed to rig my ship, it wasn’t the way that it was done back in the day. The worst thing was that having used superglue I couldn’t really fix it. So here it is, the flagship of the French fleet, painted and rigged for sailing under the ‘Nate’ system of sailing.
Bugger it, so long as it can trade a few shots with the bloody poms, that is all that matters. At least the ships will look better in the future.