I’ve received some of the figures and vehicles that I ordered for this 1973 Yom Kippur Flames of War project, so I’ll be gluing them together and preparing them over this weekend. In the meantime, here are the first 2 units that I’ve put together, and both of them are air support. There is no reason for this other than that these models were the first to arrive, so I started on them.
Both planes are Tamiya 1/100 kits, and cost the mighty sum of £2.25 each. I ordered them through Modelhobbies in the UK and they were on the other side of the world in less than a week. I love Royal Mail. But I digress…
The biggest problem is that the decals associated with the kits are Japanese for the F4 and Soviet for the MiG21. I searched the web for 15mm decals for Israelis and Egyptian aircraft but came up with nothing. So I painted my own. I used the Japanese decals and for the rising sun roundels painted them white and then painted the Star of David in the middle. I thought that painting a geometric shape like the Star would be easy to get right… live and learn. They don’t look too bad I guess. As for the MiG21, I painted all of the markings on for this freehand. Again, not perfect but not too bad (at a distance).
I haven’t painted model planes in 20 years (except for a 1/48 SE-5A for the 28mm WWI figs, but I just spray painted that so it doesn’t count) and back then I would just slap the paint on in roughly the right places. This was definitely something new. There are undoubtedly areas that need a few touch-ups, but by and large I’m happy with the final result. And as Dan is working on this project as well, I hope he is too!