Warhammer Historical’s Waterloo has inspired me. I get the feeling that this is a Napoleonic project that will get finished – a case of seventh time lucky! This isn’t just based on blind optimism, but the fact that I only need six units for a whole army! Of course this will expand when I make it to the required minimum, but it is being able to reach a playable army size relatively quickly that will ensure I don’t give up and move on too quickly.
Here are my first 2 elements, some Perry Plastic light infantry for my 1er Legere:
This was an interesting painting project. First of all, I had given some of these guys a white undercoat, and some a black undercoat. The white undercoat figures were definitely more labour intensive, but my original plan had been for them to be part of a Ligne battalion with white trousers, so I thought that white would be a sensible base coat. I used the dip only after I had painted everything, and then went back over some of the white areas (the officer’s trousers) as a highlight. This worked quite well. But my thoughts for the future are to use neither black nor white and to go with a grey undercoat. This is the technique suggested in the rulebook, and I think that it is worth a try.
For the first time ever I decided that I would not paint eyes on the figures. A close up is below. I don’t think I have lost anything really:
I painted these chaps in the last week as a bit of a trial run, but previously I had managed to finish half a French battalion for the War of Spanish Succession. This is the Regiment Tourville, because my daughter liked this flag better than the other options I gave her:
The flag is made out of a piece of an old sheet, and the paint stiffened it enough for it to have a slight fold.
As much as I like these figures, the Marlburian project is on the backburner until the initial Napoleonics are finished. I also have to finish off my last two units for my Flames of War Soviet army, and then I will do a photo essay blog entry on the whole host. Then into my US FoW army, and slowly my modern Brits and Taliban for Force on Force. The latter will be a total immersion project where I paint the figures, terrain and play the game hard out to get a grip on the rules, so in a couple of months time when school holidays are here it will probably be ready. But for now, here is my first almost completed 15mm Command Decision WMIK:
In the mean time I’ve been rewatching Ross Kemp, reading War by Sebastian Junger and have 3 Para ready for when that is finished. I have to say that I’m looking forward to this one immensely. Looks like 2012 will be the year of Waterloo and Afghanistan.