Desert Terrain

I completed my desert boards a couple of weeks back.

I borrowed some paint off John because I am colour blind and have had real issues trying to come up with decent desert colours. I bought a sheet to spray paint but it was way too green by the time I got it on the table. I bought some paint but it was too light. I don’t know what colour this is, but it works perfectly.

Desert terrain is important this year as I build my WW2 Desert Italians and aim to playtest some army lists for the Yom Kippur War using Flames of War 3rd Edition. I’m now waiting on the Battlefront big desert building and some Pegasus palm trees to complete the set.




Zuzzy mat finished

So here it is in all of its glory, with some Egyptian armour for perspective.

Now I will build some hills with the same colours and similar textures, a few small Arab houses (John said that he will make these for me), and I’ll purchase some Pegasus palm trees, which will bring all of my desert terrain and the whole Yom Kippur War project to completion.  I’ll put up another battle report sometime soon.


WIP Zuzzy Mat 2

Showing the Zuzzy mat in the midst of drybrushing.  There is a mixed red oxide/yellow oxide drybrush, followed by an acrylic Resene interior housepaint ‘rob roy’ drybrush.  The mat is nearly complete now.  After the rob roy is applied I’ll give it dark brown or black wash.



Work in Progress – Zuzzy mat

Dan bought some Zuzzy mats last year, and didn’t take them with him to Oz.  He told me to use them, so I’ve started painting up the 6′ x 4′ Despoiled Reaches as a desert to use with the Flames of War Arab-Israeli stuff.  I’m not doing much painting at he moment, but occasionally I’m adding a bit of colour to this mat to try and get it finished.  Here’s the progress so far:

You can see that I have put down one colour, the Burnt Sienna, and have begun the Burnt Umber.  I’m planning on washing the whole thing in black, then dry brushing a Pale Sand/Burnt Sienna mixed colour over the top.

Here is a close-up.  I initially put a wash of each base colour down in an attempt to limit the amount of gray coming through in the cracks.  This was a fail.  It is particularly noticeable where the two colours meet.  Hopefully a black wash and the dry brushing should obscure this.


Tomb of the Mummy King

After looking at my mate Scott’s blog and seeing his mines of Moria terrain, I decided to have a go at something similar with some of the polystyrene that I’ve got cluttering up the place. I found a toy skull in a pirate game in a $2 Shop, and bought it on the off chance that it could be useful. Well of course it was useful! It became the inspiration for this – the Mummy’s tomb:


The polystyrene had bark glued to the outside, and then the whole thing was brushed with a mixture of watered down polyfilla, railway ballast and some black gesso. This dried to a light grey finish. I then watered down the gesso and gave the whole thing a wash so that it turned out dark grey. Finally I gave it a drybrush of Resene interior house paint, the light grey hermitage colour.


Some old railway flock (the sawdust type) was applied and a couple of bushes of lichen, and Bob’s your uncle.

For the interior I cut up cardboard rectangles and laid them down as paving stones. I coated the polystyrene walls with A4 computer paper, in order to make sure that I didn’t get the dappled effect that straight polystyrene gives, and built a balsa sarcophagus with a Games Workshop Ork hand holding on to the lid. The colours were again Resene: Desperado for the base coat lightened with a couple of shades of Rob Roy.


And there we have it. The tomb’s primary purpose is for our Weird World War Two games (if we ever get so far as to make some rules for them), but I can see it turning up in a few Legends of the High Seas Pirate games too!


Dan’s terrain

Dan sent these to me a little while ago. The barbed wire stands are for Warhammer Great War. The other terrain is generic – kind of 40K, kind of Thrilling Tales Gothic Ruins.